Western Civilization Ch. 7 Study Guide “The Passing of the Roman World and the Emergence of the Medieval World”
2. Describe the political, economic, and social policies of the restored empire under Diocletian and Constantine?
3. Who was the first emperor of the
4. Christianity was made the
official religion of the
6. What was provided for in the AD 313 Edict of Milan?
7. What was heresy?
8. What was accomplished by the Council of Nicea in AD 325?
9. What was essentially the border
10. How did the Romans regard the people whom they called the Germans?
11. Which barbarian group actually
12. Who had the distinction of being the last Roman Emperor in the West?
The Germanic Kingdoms pp. 134-137
13. Which foreign peoples from
15. By what year was the
16. What was the German’s man religion?
17. What did the heresy of Arianism question?
18. Which barbarian group crossed from Europe at Gibraltar into North Africa and subsequently reentered Europe only to sack Rome in AD 455 worse than it had been sacked in AD 410? .
19. Which was the Germanic tribe that most maintained Roman tradition and synthesized their culture with that of the Romans?
21. Theodoric was king of which barbarian group?
22. Who was the Ostrogothic King?
23. Theodoric died when?
24. Under which emperor did the
25. Who reconquered
26. In which country did the Visigoths settle and commingle their culture with that of the Romans?
27. What was the essential similarity between the Ostrogoths of Italy and the Visigoths of Spain?
28. Favored coexistence between the what populations?
29. Intermarriage laws were dropped and what peoples began to blend?
30. What was one fatal weakness of
31. Who destroyed the
32. Which was the only German state on the continent which proved long-lasting?
33. Describe the Frankish kingdom.
34. Who established the
35. He was of what Dynasty? He became a Catholic Christian around 500A.D.
37. Many Angles and Saxons from
38. From where did the Angles and Saxons originate?
39. After the death of
40. What did the Germans believe that the "ordeal" would accomplish?
41. Guilt under Germanic customary law was determined by what?
The Frankish Family and Marriage
42. Who were dominant and made all the important decisions.
43. Which females could hold property without a male guardian.
44. What sanctions was placed on adulterous women under Frankish marriage customs?
Development of the Christian Church pp. 138-143
45. On what basis did the bishops of
46. What were accomplishments of Pope Gregory the Great ?
47. Who was the father of hermitic monasticism?
48. Describe Benedictine monasticism.
49. What title did female heads of monasteries for women bear?
50. Describe Augustine's The City of
51. The Latin Father of the Church, Jerome, is known for what?
52. Chief apostle
and the first bishop of
53.Peter’s successors came to be know as?
54. Gregory I, was also know as?
56. What term means “one who lives alone?”
57. Idea based on the model of the solitary hermit who forsakes all civilized society to pursue spirituality.
58. Who established the fundamental form of monastic life in the western Christian church.
59. Benedict’s rule favored an ideal of?
60. Another word for abbot?
62. Who was Pope Gregory’s most important agent?
63. The Christian feast of Christmas was held on December 25, this was?
64. Head of a convent or monastery for women?
65. A Christian writer form
66. The title of papa has traditionally been given to whom?
67.What was the primary instrument used by Pope Gregory for converting the Germanic peoples?
68.Who developed the basic rule for western monastic living?
69. Describe Irish monasticism from the 6th through 8th centuries?
70.Augustine is remembered for what?
71. Who translated Scriptures into the Latin Vulgate?
72. What are the Liberal arts?- 7 areas of study that formed the basis of education.
73. The great Christian scholar of late antiquity, Cassiodorus, divided the 7 liberal arts into the trivium and quadrivium. What is Trivium?
74. What is Quadrivium?
75. How did Justinian treat the city
76. What was Justinian's most important contribution to Western civilization?
77. Name major buildings
in the city of
78. What is the stone
called that Arabian tribes worshiped in the city of
A. the Allah stone B. the Muhammad rock C. the Ka'ba D. the Blu'da'ba'de
79.T/F Islam means submission to the will of Allah.
80.T/F Followers of Muhammad became known as Muslims which means Muhammad's followers.
81. Muslims means what?
A.Belief in Allah and his prophet Muhammad B. Pray 5 times a day and public prayer on Friday
C.Participating in a Jihad D. Going to
83. What is a caliph?
The Rise of Islam p. 147
84. Who was the
85. Who was the surpreme god?
86. How was Allah symbolized?
87. What did all the tribes worship?
88. Where was Muhammad born?
89. What did Muhammad begin to experience in his middle year?
90. What did Muhammad's teachings form?
91. What was the first Muslim community called?
92. What is Muhammad's flight from
93. What are similarities between Christianity and Islam?
94. Do Muslims consider Muhammad or Jesus to be divine?
95. In Islam, what term means “Striving in the way of the Lord”?
96. What is the cardinal principle of the Islamic faith?
97. Some, though not all, Muslim societies abide by a strict code of law, much of it derived from the holy book Qur’an, and regulating all aspects of Muslim life. What is this law code is called?
98. What was the result of the Battle of Tours in 732?